Do you aim high, work hard and take pride in your work?
Are you eager to discover how ethical cosmetic dentistry can benefit your career?
To encourage foundation dentists to engage with us, and the educational opportunities we offer, the BACD will be awarding ONE foundation dentist the BEST CASE PRESENTATION AWARD. This will be awarded to the foundation dentist who shows the best overall case presentation, management, photography, and clinical prowess.
The award is a complimentary place at the next BACD Annual Conference, including travel, accommodation and a gala dinner ticket, and a 1-year DF1 membership of the BACD. The next BACD Annual Conference is taking place on 09 – 12 November 2023 at IET Savoy Place, London. You will also be invited to shadow one of our committee members (to be arranged subject to availability and location).
There are 2 runner-up prizes of a 1-year DF1 membership of the BACD.
All you have to do to stand a chance of winning this prize is to present your case in PowerPoint or Keynote format. Please note the following:
(1) Your presentation must be written in English, and shall not exceed 20 slides. This is a maximum figure, not a minimum. No minimum number of slides is expected.
(2) Clinical photography
The ideal views are the BACD accreditation views (see BACD Accreditation Photographic Views, attached). Candidates can add whatever additional views they feel would enhance their suggestion:
1:10 equivalent Full face
1:2 equivalent Frontal smile view
1:2 equivalent Right lateral smile view
1:2 equivalent Left lateral smile view
1:2 equivalent Frontal retracted view, teeth in occlusion
1:2 equivalent Right lateral retracted view, teeth in occlusion
1:2 equivalent Left lateral retracted view, teeth in occlusion
1:2 equivalent Frontal retracted view, teeth slightly parted
1:2 equivalent Right lateral retracted view, teeth slightly parted
1:2 equivalent Left lateral retracted view, teeth slightly parted
1:1 equivalent Anterior close up view
1:1 equivalent Right lateral close up view
1:1 equivalent Left lateral close up view
1:2 equivalent Upper occlusal view
1:2 equivalent Lower occlusal view
For any case where orthodontic movement has been carried out, photos are required:
(a) At the beginning of treatment
(b) Following completion of orthodontics
(c) At the end of treatment
(3) A case presentation describing the history, options, treatment plan, expectations, planning, results, and long term management plan. The case report should be submitted electronically in a readable format. Reports are expected to be well organised, original, accurate, and complete. Candidates should include the following information in the written report:
• Introduction and main complaint
• History – medical and dental
• Treatment options
• Diagnosis and treatment plan chosen and why
• Description of clinical stages of treatment
• References to literature pertaining to the treatment prescribed
• Long term management
1. The prize will be known as the “THE FOUNDATION DENTIST BEST CASE PRESENTATION AWARD”
2. The prize will be awarded by the President of the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and a member of the Young Membership Committee, on the recommendation of this committee. The committee reserves the right to withhold the prize if the standard of case presentations submitted are not of sufficient merit. The first prize is a complimentary place at the next BACD annual conference in November 2023, with travel, accommodation and a gala dinner ticket included, together with a 1-year DF1 membership of BACD. There are also 2 runner-up prizes of an annual DF1 membership of the BACD
3. The prize will be open to any foundation dentist within the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
4. Only the name of the prize winner will be published
5. The presentation must be written in English and shall not exceed 20 slides. This is a maximum figure, not a minimum. No minimum number of slides is expected. It must be submitted in electronic form (either in Powerpoint OR Keynote, NOT as a PDF file), and preceded by a title page to Mrs Suzy Rowlands, BACD Executive Administrator – [email protected]
6. The judges, whose decision will be final, are members of the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry Young Membership Committee
7. All work must be the original work of the author and must not have been published or submitted for any other purpose elsewhere. Modified DF1 case presentations excepted. The British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry shall have the right to publish any presentation submitted, in part or in full in any publication
8. The winner may not submit the presentation for publication elsewhere or to any other organisation, without the written permission of the BACD. Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in forfeiture of the prize
9. The closing date is SUNDAY 13 AUGUST 2023
10. Case presentations will be judged on content, style and presentation
11. The winning dentist will be invited to the next BACD Annual Conference in November 2023 for the presentation of the prize. Registration, travel, accommodation and a gala dinner ticket will be paid